HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let your child skip school to hunt?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Marlerboy
Spike

Originally Posted by Tracker II
You're right bigcountry, I sure got my fill of answers, lol.

I wrote out a post before dinner and got disconnected before I could enter it. A good part of my post posed the very same concerns that you just did. After teaching my son never to miss church, school, or work unless circumstances dictate (e.g. illness), what happens when I suddenly change the rules? This opens up a real Pandora's Box in that he can say, hey, you let me skip for deer hunting, why can't I skip for this activity which I enjoy even more? I don't know that this would ever happen, but still, it's in the back of my mind.

As far as grades are concerned, I could set the requirement that he maintain his current average. But then again, what if he is a point away from maintaining it? Or a half a point? Sure I could say that there is no leeway, but if he misses by a slight fraction, there's the potential for some real bitterness about the whole thing.

As I said before, who knows the future and maybe this fear of giving him one day off is much ado about nothing. But still ...
Thats when you set him straight. Its about spending time with your boy. When your gone hell cherish those memories.