HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - This Is Why I Don't Like Straps.
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 AM
jrbsr
Super Moderator

Default This Is Why I Don't Like Straps.

This is why I don't like tree stands, or steps with straps, for deer hunting.

"I'm Going to Die" After Fall
My first day hunting the 2010 Wisconsin bow season nearly became my last.

On Nov. 8, I went to hunt a 40-acre wooded lot in the central part of the state. I have hunted the land more than 20 years. Although it is small, it features a nice oak ridge, creek bottom and small pines with good underbrush.

After reaching my chosen tree stand, I began the climb I had made hundreds of times before. I used climbing sticks strapped to the trunk to make my way up the tree.

As I crested the 24-foot climb and stepped onto the stand, the strap holding the climbing stick to the tree snapped. I began a long journey back toward the ground. My life flashed before my eyes. All I could think was "It's all gone" and "I'm going to die."

I hit the ground. I was alive, but I had doubts about my future.

I was bleeding from my ears, nose and mouth. When I tried to move my arms and legs, the pain in my back became excruciating. But I needed to get back my jacket near the tree, since my cell phone was in the pocket. Ten feet separated me and a rescue. But I couldn’t move.

I cried out for help. No response. No one was around.

I needed to get to that tree. The fact I was still alive made me realize someone had more in store for me. I had no choice but to crawl.

To read more go here --> http://deeranddeerhunting.com/articl...ie-after-fall/