HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Want to get into deer hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
LaDeerGuy
Spike

Originally Posted by southLA
LaDeerGuy....i'm in Vermilion just fyi....so i'm assuming it's legal to throw out food?? how much is sufficient and how expensive does it get??

Thanks
Yes, its legal to feed in Louisiana on private land (and as far as I know, Vermilion ) EXCEPT for raw sweet potatoes (which I think has to do more with sweet potatoes than deer). Maybe apples too, not sure. Put out about 5 gals. of rice bran or corn at a time (in each pile, if you do more than one, but don['t put them too close together). Try to stay away from the places you are hunting/feeding as much as possible. The more you go there, the more the deer will become nocturnal. If you start feeding rice bran or corn, watch the piles. You should start seeing the piles get small very quickly and you'll see lots of tracks if it is muddy enough (if you can get a cheap deer cam and put it up pointing at the feed--point it north if possible, you will probably be amazed at what is happening at night out there). When the piles are gone (usually, 3-4 days if they are hitting them regularly), replace with about 5 gals. for each pile. Rice bran isn't expensive (being on a rice farm, especially). I'm sure you can get it at G&H in Kaplan or Gueydan or any feed store.

Good luck. Let us know how you do and post pics of your setup and your deer!

P.S. Coons and possums (and pretty much everything) eats corn. Coons like rice bran, but have a hard time eating it. Possums love it. So do birds. Don't be surprised if they are always in it.

Last edited by LaDeerGuy; 12-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.