HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let your child skip school to hunt?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
So are you saying without this skipped days, its impossible to teach a child these life skills? That makes no sense whatsoever. I mean I taught myself.

Can't a child bowhunt? I mean I do 95% or more of my hunting with a bow. Most of East US, gun hunting is nothing more than shooting pressured deer. Sit in a tree, something will run to you. Not sure what life lessons one would learn. In fact, every year I consider skipping the orange army week.

Facts are facts, concerning education, college and employability and how much more a college graduate makes.

I just know from my experience, I had and have friends who I graduated from HS with who lived, breathed and died hunting, and refused the disciplines of sometimes, hunting has to wait. Same folks, well over 20 years later, work like mules and only get one week vacation a year and tell me how lucky I am getting 5 weeks a year and able to hunt so much. Again, not saying its rule, but its rather interesting.
I am not saying you HAVE to skip school in order to learn these skills. You taught yourself, good for you. Me too, and still learning. I'd rather have been taught by my father. And I'm saying that it's the DAD's prerogative to take his kid out of school to hunt if he wants. I do NOT surrender the right, will and future of my children to the state. In Virginia, you cannot hunt on Sundays...could be like that in other states. Maybe this guy doesn't have a place nearby to hunt. Maybe the dad wants to take his kid hunting somewhere where travel time is significant and it would eat up a lot of the hunting day. Who knows? Again, my point is that it's up to the dad.

Are you REALLY going to bring up the bow vs. gun thing here? Really? "Most of East US, gun hunting is nothing more than shooting pressured deer. Sit in a tree, something will run to you." Talk about overly broad statements. Not even getting into it. And what does that have to do with taking time off of school? NOTHING.

Again, for someone calling my view a “freakin’ stretch,” you’re bringing this to extremes all over the place. You are making correlations that SIMPLY DO NOT EXIST. What you are basically inferring is that a dad who takes his kid out of school to go hunting, skiing, family vacation…WHATEVER…is teaching his kid to be undisciplined, implying that his son won’t go to college, won’t be able to differentiate between what is more important than hunting, and what is not, etc. If you weren’t implying that, then bringing up the earnings and employability of college grads vs non-grads is IRRELEVANT, along with the stories of your friends. You have stated that for both you and your friends, you were obsessed with hunting well beyond the point of reason. You cannot correlate that with a kid missing a couple of days of school to go hunting!!!!

No one is saying that hunting never has to wait, or that hunting is the most important thing ever. You are imagining that people are saying that.