HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Fever, or Bitter Cold
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
countertop
Fork Horn

Default Buck Fever, or Bitter Cold

Got out Monday afternoon in the bitter cold (teens to low 20s) and driving wind (steady 10 mph breeze with gusts up to 40-50 mph) we've been hit with here in the DC area:

For the first 90 minutes, I heard nothing – not even squirrels in an area chock full of them. I assume that’s a factor of the sudden onset of the extreme cold and wind. About 3:40 or so, I started hearing squirrels barking, but couldn’t see them – and while I heard movement in the woods, was unable to differentiate the sounds of deer moving from those of branches falling and squirrels rustling.

With the sudden onset of a gorgeous sunset, I pulled my iPhone out to check the time at 4:40 (sunset was 4:47 and we can hunt for 30 minutes afterward) and quickly looked up. A squirrel barked. I looked down, and he was looking right at the big ten pointer I missed a few weeks ago, standing 20 yards in front of my stand, who in turn was staring right at me.

I paused, and held still for an eternity (or perhaps 60 seconds, it felt like forever). Where did this deer come from? How did he appear from nowhere right in front of my stand? Why did a squirrel suddenly show up at the same time? Why did I look up when I did?

Eventually, he put his head back down and resumed browsing, slowly working his way further into the forest. I picked up my rifle – slowly – and leaned down.

Clicked the safety off.

Peered through the scope.

And started shaking like crazy. Was this buck fever? Or simply hypothermia from sitting exposed in the wind and cold for nearly 3 hours??

I tried to calm my self down and stop my teeth from chattering.

He stepped behind a tree.

I repositioned the gun and he reappeared, but then I couldn’t get a good line on him. And like that, I blinked and he was gone – like a ghost disappearing 35 yards in front of me, into the rapidly enveloping stillness of the forest at dusk.