HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Want to get into deer hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Cam Fan
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
Well gun/calibor is personal preference but to a new hunter I recomend a new England handy rifle in 7mm08 or 308 it's just a singleshot but that's all it should take if you place it right. They can be had for around 230-250 new. Put a decent scope on it and your set. If you just wanna spend extra money on a bolt action you can't beat the Remington 700 but stay away from that model 770 crap. I don't see no reason why you couldn't hunt this season just go where you've seen em find a well used trail and backoff about 30 yards and lean up against a tree make sure your camoflaged good and see what happens. Next year get a stand or groundblind and your set. Any stand will work just get one that you like.
this is good information above.

I would not go out and spend thousands to find out you do not like it. I prefer a .270 cal. I would consider buying a used gun where you can trade it later if you want. If you buy a stand a ladder stand works good to start with and they are not expensive. The main thing I would say though is be safe, and prepaired. Do you know what you are going to do with your deer if you shoot one? You do not want to it spoil.
If you get involved in deer hunting you can have a lifetime of enjoyment. I look back on all the years I have hunted and all the changes I have made in my style. I hope you enjoy deer hunting and good luck!.