HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good defense gun fora lil' lady.
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
What about a semi auto gas operated 12 gauge? They will kick less than a pump or single shot. Granted, they still kick fairly hard with buckshot. I've shot some 20 gauges that are just as bad or worse due to them being lighter and on a smaller frame. I think a semi auto 12 gauge is what I'd go with, but if not, I'd get a 20 gauge and order some buckshot online. No way I'd give her a .22 for home defense.
And semiauto shotguns are much more finicky for the female shooter. HIGH END shotguns will cycle well regardless of hold, but many low-end up to middle of the road semi-auto shotguns will fail to feed if the shooter doesn't meet the recoil well. One of my Berettas functions FLAWLESSLY for anyone over 150lbs, but my fiancee and my sister have to make a conscious effort to meet the recoil to ensure feeding. My younger cousins also have the same problem with it. My mother did considerable action work to her Franchi semiauto to lighten the springs so it would fully cycle for her. In a panic, how much focus will your girlfriend have on meeting recoil? She'll need a gun that will go bang every time she pulls the trigger.

To answer the original question. No long gun for home defense. It's way too easy to disarm ANYONE with a long gun, let alone a woman (not trying to be sexist, but less body weight and/or less strength is a fact).

Personally, if she doesn't shoot much, I'd recommend a double action .38spcl snub nosed revolver. Tell her to fire until it's empty, so the gun can't be used against her if she misses and gets over powered (advice from a FBI officer I used to shoot with). My fiancee has a Taurus 85 Ultralight .38spcl and a Smith and Wesson 65 Ladysmith .357mag (loaded with .38spcl). The advantage is that if there's one in the tube and she pulls the trigger, it goes bang... Every time...

If she shoots quite a bit, then a double action semiauto with a magazine disconnect is also a good option. She has the option for more shots, but if she gets in trouble, she can drop the magazine to prevent the gun from being used against her.

NO way I'd use a .22lr for home defense. Unless ur girlfriend can shoot a flying cantelope rapid fire in the dark without missing, then there's no way to guarantee she can connect the necessary head shots to stop an intruder.

Regardless of what you get for her, the most important thing is to have her practice with it and get familiar with how it operates. Practice will also help her be familiar with the recoil and flash, which can be startling for a new shooter.