HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stand hunting vs Still hunting?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

125py - I think moving at a snail's pace is sometimes appropriate when still hunting, but not all the time. Deer are used to noises in the woods, and there are lots of noises. What will alert them is when they hear noises that are out of the ordinary. Hearing “step……….step………step…….step” is out of the ordinary. When I am walking areas uninhibited by lots of branches, twigs and other things that make walking difficult, I try to move at a deer’s pace…that nice, even and relaxed pace…stopping about every 8-12 steps or so to thoroughly scan the area. Of course, I move more cautiously when moving into areas where the view will be expanded (lack of trees, hilltop, etc)…you’ve got to be very careful there and make sure there are no deer before proceeding out into the open (binoculars help greatly). I do not even try to make my steps silent, though I am very cognizant of twigs, branches, etc, and do everything I can not to crack one. When I do, I freeze and have a good look around. Now, if you’re in an area where there is no decent path, you’ve got to take it super slow or you’ll make noise that isn’t normal.

Chuck7 – I would say stalking is when you spot a deer that you do not have a shot at, and you need to stalk it to get the shot. I have heard still hunting called “spot ‘n stalk”, though when still hunting, it is not always necessary to stalk to get your shot.

When I still hunt, I often times will sit down for 30 minutes or even more when I find an area that looks promising.