HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 9 - Team Buckaneers
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Lady Forge
Nontypical Buck

Wis;
I heard you guys got slammed pretty bad by that blizzard.
We also got slammed here by the storm, Howling winds, wrecks on the interstate, it finally got so bad they pulled the plows off the interstates here and then closed some parts of the interstates... so I dont think I'll make it out till tommorrow, I still have a doe tag. I have a friend coming down to hunt for a couple of days so Im hoping to help him get his doe and buck.

I did make it out a few days ago.
I got up late this morning but still got all my stuff together and headed to the woods to do some bowhunting and made it into the woods by 7:30am. With the sun haven already risen I figured I would just find a spot to sit on the ground and not make a bunch of noise in the woods trying to put up my climber
( seems like when it is single didget temps like it was this morning I make alot of noise putting up my climber)
Christine headed to one end of the property so she recomended I try a different spot , so I found a muliflora rose thicket amonst some tree branches, vines a tree and good log to sit on.
After I had pretty much frozen my back side sitting on that frozen log I decided to stand for a little while, I look and here comes 8 does with fawns and they are 30 yards, so a big doe and her fawn split off from the group and head my way and I cant believe my eyes it is the fawn we have nicknamed Spot.
As I am crouched in the thicket the doe gets to now 6 yards from me and I have no shot ... ...the thicket I am in is just to thick to shot through where she is at. Then the doe starts to move away from me slightly.
Spot gets 15 yards in front of me and beds down facing me, and his mom gets about 23 yards from me facing away from me and then she beds down facing away from me,I am very cautious because the the other 5 deer are still 40 or so yards behind me milling around in the thickets and I am almost positive one of them is gonna spot me and blow, so I needed to take 3 steps out of the thicket to get the shot at the bedded doe but Spot has me pegged so I figured what the heck, so I take one step over the log and Spot dosent spook so I take another step and Spot is watching me and still dosent spook so I take the final step and Spot still dosent spook so with the doe facing away I drew the bow and gapped the pins for a 23 yard shot , place the pins on her vitals and shoot. She explodes out of her bed and I can see the arrow still in her but I see that I have roughly 6 to 8 inches of arrow in her... I hear a crash and then decide to just sit for a little while before going to trail her to let the woods settle down a little bit... pluse I needed to settle down a bit.
Ill be the first to admit this hunt was one of the most awesome hunts I have ever experienced, I had a serious case of doe fever.. I was shaking like a dog passing a peach pit... I havnt gotten that shookup by a deer in a while.

Bingo... money shot, I got me another doe , she didnt even go 50 yards till she dropped...
As Christine and I were getting her out of the woods I was pulling the doe on the deer cart and I managed to only flip the cart with her on it over once... Kinda proud of that one... not
Attached Images