HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need experienced opinions on best of 2 scopes please
Old 12-11-2010, 02:27 PM
71Bacon
Spike

Default Need experienced opinions on best of 2 scopes please

Hi Guys (and gals)

I am purchasing a riflescope for a christmas present for a friend who is an avid deer hunter but need some expert advice.

I am really going to appreciate your input on this, and he will probably remember this too, so thank you in advance.

My friend is a real enthusiast he has his own 600 acre rolling wooded plot, dozens of acres of prepared and planted greenfields, about a half dozen shooting houses, 1930's farmhouse/hunting cabin. Now that you have that picture in mind don't get it wrong. He inherited this land from his Grandfather, clears plows and plants the greenfields himself, clears it himself all with equipment he bought and owns, and he's never earned anything other than an hourly wage. He has introduced a lot of people to hunting myself included in a way that could be the definition of Southern hospitality. It's that kind of story and he is that kind of really good guy.

He's always wanted a better scope. I've been hanging on his ear for the last year or so. He mentioned at one time that he holds Swarovski scopes in high regard. Another time he was flipping through a catalog and commented to me that 4-18 was a good zoom range. I've hunted on his land and 90% of his shots range from 75 to 130 yards with the occasional hilltop to hilltop shot maybe 230-300 yards and he can hit them too, his rifles have all had some kind of tuning work by a gunsmith and he knows how much drop and windage he has at different spots on his property. He is also a twighlight hunter he is always out in the house long before daybreak and will stay up there until it is good and dark.

He knows and can appreciate quality items with no problem, but thinks ballistic turrets are too fancy. So I've narrowed it down to two choices. I will try to be brief here.

Choice #1 is a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. If I assemble all the little comments over the past year this fits pretty much what he said.

Choice #2 is a Zeiss Victory Diavari 3-12x56. This is my choice knowing how he actually hunts.

Not being an experienced hunter, but being an avid camera lens enthusiast, I see the Davari as the better choice. Larger optics always transmit more light. The Davari will be brighter than the Swarovski under the same conditions due to the larger optics and pupil. I also don't think he needs 5x zoom compared to 4x zoom, although it makes for a more impressive specification. Eye relief is about the same.

Ok, what do you think? Buy him what he thinks he wants or what I think he needs? Do either one of these scopes have any fatal flaws or inherent advantages?

Really appreciate the input everyone.