HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Indiana deer regs.
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 AM
ACutting
Fork Horn

The high dollar leases are already starting to happen in Indiana. I've been edged out of a couple of places that I hunt because of leases and looking at the prices being charged they are continuing to go up because people are willing to pay. I know one guy who leases close to 10,000 acres a year in the state I have no clue how someone can afford to do that unless they are offering guided/semi guided hunts on these properties. So whether we like it or not leasing of property is going to be something we learn to live with or we won't have private ground to hunt unless you are lucky enough to own land or have family that owns land. The old way of knocking on doors and asking for permission and doing some chores around the farm and sharing some venison is no longer enough for farmers. They found out they can make a nice bit of money off of their non-tillable land. Most farmers are charging $8-$12/acre of land leased but how they catch you with that is you have to lease all of their land even if they only have 40 acres of woods but 200 acres of crops. You have to pay $8-$12/acre for 240 acres. Which equals out to $48-$72 per acre of woods. If that is not high cost I'm not sure what is. For those type of prices you can go on an outfitted hunt which is exactly what the outfitters want you to do. So as you can see these leases are a nasty vicious cycle. You are going to pay to hunt or you are going to hunt public land which currently in Indiana is not a great option because of how our regulations are structured and the number of hunters hunting public land is already extremely high. Its not at all uncommon to see 1 hunter for every 30-50 acres of land on public land on the places I hunt makes for a miserable hunt when every direction you turn you see orange during gun season. It was so bad this year for gun season that I didn't even sight in my muzzy to go out during muzzleloader season. 9 out of 10 guys I spoke with at the parking lots all said they will be back during muzzleloader season.