HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Indiana deer regs.
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 AM
Roger46982
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
All are welcome to present the statistics any way they want. The only one that is even close to displaying a reasonable comparison is P&Y/B&C bucks taken per acre or hunter effort. No way I'm going back in the archives to scrape up the numbers, but I did at one point. Most would be shocked at the wild difference between states like Iowa compared to Indiana or Michigan. The disparity is not close. Your individual odds of taking a P&Y buck in Iowa was something like 200:1 compared to Michigan which was last in the midwest. Indiana was 2nd to last.

A great indication of effectiveness of a state's buck management is the quality available on public land. So I want to ask you Onion..........how many of your 3 P&Y bucks in 10 years were taken on PUBLIC land? Of the 5 P&Y bucks I have taken, all 5 were from public land.

As I mentioned, I have hunted public land in 12 different states, including 15 years in Indiana, 6 years in Illinois, 5 in Iowa, 3 in Kansas. There is absolutely no comparison when it comes to quality. In IA, KS & IL I typically see one P&Y per day, where in Indiana I would see 2 or 3 per entire season. I know it has improved some since OBR, but not THAT much.
If you are now an Illinos resident why do you give a damn what Indiana does? I for one do not want Indiana to end up like Ill. Iowa, Wisconsin and or Kansas where either you lease for high dollar or hunt public land.