HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To Spend Big Bucks Or Not To Spend Big Bucks
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM
TigerJon73
Spike

Default To Spend Big Bucks Or Not To Spend Big Bucks

I just found this forum and it looks to be a source for a lot of good info and just plain rap with folks about the outdoors.

I have a question. Last fall (2009) I rifle(or any firearms for that matter) hunted for whitetail in Missouri. Before the season began I purchased a Marlin XL7 in .270 win (I chose this caliber in the hopes I will get to use it for antelope someday). I considered spending more on something like a Tikka, A-Bolt, or a Rem 700(decided against the 700 after a lot of stories on the accidental discharges scared me off). After some ccard points and one of their 'spend so much, get so much off' promotional mailers, I got my Marlin for just over $200 at Cabelas. I could not be more happy with this rifle. It is not hard at all to shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yds. with this weapon. This year I nailed my first buck ever with one shot at about 60 yds. on opening day. At about dusk that night I bagged a real nice doe too. I was using an older TrueGlo my uncle gave me (have since bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 only because the outlet here in KC was running a good deal on the Firefly reticle models). I don't know a lot about hunting rifles yet, but what's the deal? I'm sure that many of the higher-end models are fine weapons, but is a lot of the deal just paying for name? Either way, I love my XL7. Thanks for any advice.

Jon
KCMO

Last edited by TigerJon73; 12-06-2010 at 04:47 PM.