HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Semi auto Deer Rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
So basically your saying that unless its gonna win a competition its not fit to hunt with. Is that it? 1.75" (742), is not at all unreasonable for a hunting rifle. By any ones standards.
We're not shooting at Wimbledon here. These ain't 1000 yard competition weapons, they're hunting rifle's.
No, I'm not saying that, but I'm saying that if it doesn't shoot 1" or better I'm not happy with it. That's not saying others aren't going to be. In this case, the OP may not have asked how the accuracy is, but in a lot of the cases of guys asking about these guns they want to know how the accuracy is. Even if they don't I feel they should know. If they see posts saying they shoot 1.5-3" groups and they are happy with that, then that's fine. They know up front what they are getting. Some may not be fine with that. That's why I feel it's important to tell them what size groups to expect. I usually add in there on my posts that I don't find those groups to be very accurate. Maybe I should quit adding that.

Saying these things are plenty accurate isn't the best thing to say either imo as to me 1" is plenty accurate. Anything over 1" is not what I'd want. If you have a gun that shoots 2" at 100 yards, that's approximately 4" groups at 200 yards, and so on. If you are shooting at 4-500 yards, that's big enough groups to miss a deer completely.