HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Semi auto Deer Rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
On any internet forum you will get some inexperienced guy ("me and my buddy" or "me and my cousin" guys) who wants to be heard. One guy on this site never passes the chance to trash Leupold and Remington with ever changing stories, and crap that was posted in yet another internet forum. It is probably best to just ignore their input and not waste the time to discuss, debate, or argue. Not everyone agrees on any topic.
I trash the Leupold VX-I and Rifleman line as well, they are crap. They are comparable to a Simmons, Bushnell, etc. Or at least the ones I've had were. Yet they cost about 7 times as much. Even the majority of Leupold fan's I've talked to including Big Country say they aren't that great. Most of the Leupold fans try to say how it's a cheap scope so you can't expect but so much, but at $210-300, they aren't super cheap and you should get much better quality than a $30 Simmons would give you.

Now the Leupold VX-II and above I've never trashed as they are decent scopes. The problem with them is you can get much better glass from other companies for cheaper. While the VX-II and above are fine scopes, I just like to get the most for my money and you can't do that with a Leupold no matter what line.

What ever changing stories do I have? Other than the fact that, I've owned a couple more Leupolds after my first one, and all of them have been about the same. So when I post the number of how many I've owned it's gone up.

As for Remington, It's not that I don't like some Remington products either. It's just not all of them are great. The newer ones in particular have a lot of quality control issues. Read some gun forums, and you will see it's not just me complaining of this. I've had first hand experience with this, as well as with the lower priced Leupolds. I've also got friends that have had the same issues, but it's not like I haven't experienced them too. A brand new gun regardless of price should not need work out of the box. The older Remingtons for the most part are great. However, there are a few like the 740 and 742 that do have design flaws. If you like yours and it works for you keep shooting it and act like they don't ever have the issues with the receiver rails if you want. Not my problem. Just don't tell a guy that's trying to learn about different guns and trying to decide on what he wants a bunch of lies about them. Lots of them still work fine, but it's something if buying one that you need to check out very carefully. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying they are horrible.

As far as Remingtons, that are good, I honestly don't think you can beat the old 1100 Magnums if you want a great buckshot gun, the old Remington Speedmaster .22's were great, the older 700's were great, the older 870 Wingmasters were great. The 7400 might not be the most accurate but they are pretty good hunting guns. The old 760's and 7600's are great. There are a ton of great guns that Remington's made over the years. So it's not that I'm bashing Remington as a whole. It's a few models in the past they've made that aren't good designs. Then they have quite a issue with quality control now. Read up on the chamber issues on the 870 Expresses, or the bolt handles breaking off of the new 700's. In general I think Remington has taken a huge step downhill since they got bought out Cerberus, but I know a ton of you will disagree with me just because you all like to do that.

I myself as well as many of my friends, have used products that have performed amazingly. I don't hesitate to recommend them, or tell my experiences with them either. So it's not that I have bad luck or problems with everything like you all seem to think. If a posters ask's about the products that I've had great luck with, I'll tell them. If they ask about one I've had bad luck with, I'll tell them too.

I'm just curious as to what I've said that's so full of it? I'd also like to start seeing some targets from these semi auto's with pictures of the groups measured out, since you guys are getting such good groups with them.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.