HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900!
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Muley70
Fork Horn

First off,I also voted against I-161 as it was an attack on NR and outfitters, nothing more, nothing less. As far as the tag being an elk/deer combo, that is also misleading. For example, in the area I outfit one must put in for a special "deer permit" to hunt mule deer with draw odds of less than 1%. So in other words, in many areas it is a 897.00 dollar elk tag. Additionally, not everybody wants to hunt deer, but they are still forced to but a deer tag along with an elk tag and in some areas require a deer permit they have no chance of getting.

The disparity between resident license and NR has gotten out of control here. During the debate resident Montana hunters called outfitter welfare queens because we got the sponsored tag from the state. We work the show circuit, spend ten of thousands on advertising, field the calls, book the hunts etc. Then we were forced to sell the states tag at 1250.00 combo or 995.00 elk to our clients the we solicited and sold to. The money was then given to the state to pay land owners so resident hunters could hunt their land for free. So who is the real welfare recipient here?

I-161 is a diasaster. We have effectivley created a glorified OTC state, were it is expected the draw will now be at 100%. Outfitted clients are no longer bound to hunt with just outfitter and can hunt BMP lands. We have transferred leasing from Montana businesses over to out of state corps and hunting clubs and with 100% draw odds, you can bet leasing will now take off in Montana. The public land, small outfitter will get screwed, as will the average Joe NR looking for a DIY excursion. Stupid law.

The ballot langauge was also a nightmare. After I read the ballot I dang near was ready to vote for it. It said vote to increase wildlife funding!! etc. We need to repeal I-161.

Last edited by Muley70; 12-04-2010 at 12:53 PM.