HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What has been your progression in bows and bow hunting?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Trapper1960
Spike

I bought a 45 lb. Darton take down recurve when I was 16 in the mid to late 70's and shortly thereafter I bought a Bear Polar LTD. Next Came a Browning Explorer II in the early 80's (we lovingly refereed to it as the "Exploder II due to breaking 4 sets of limbs). Next came an American Archery cheetah (I killed my 1st deer with this one), Then a Martin Cougar Mag. I built a 65 lb. Bingham take-down recurve kit bow that stacked like crazy (I used this to take my 1st recurve deer). From there I picked up a shiny new PSE Mach Flight 4 with the overdraw (the thing was a boat anchor) I really liked the bow and kept it for many years (too many years) and many hunts. I then moved to a Mathews Icon which I am in love with and still shooting. I'm considering something new, but at 50 yrs old now I think common sense may be finally kicking in and I just don't see the sense in it (yet). Recently an old friend/neighbor passed away, but before he did, he gave me a Bear Polar II and an old 45 lb. Browning recurve of which the model I do not know, but he told me he bought it while stationed in Korea during the war. It was given to me complete with a homemade quiver that he had made from canvas from discarded stretchers tossed behind the medical tent and sewed by hand. It was stuffed with various broadhead tipped arrows including a few Browning Serpentine's. I hunted with his bow that year in his honor and took a dandy 6 pt.