HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What to do when you see a black bear
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM
nate121080
Fork Horn

I hunt a lot in southwest va including some areas around pine mountain. For you guys that have been hunting 20 years and never seen one either you aint walking far from the truck or are the luckiest guys I know lol. Most of my walks are right at 2 hours with 1 being 2.5. We go way deep.

I've seen over 30 just the last few years. Seen 6 in one day. If its in ol boar it dont bother me to bad as long as he keeps his distance. I've had 2 bad situations with sows that had cubs. Both times I thought I was going to have to kill her. NOTHING will get your blood pumping faster than a sow bluff charging and popping her teeth Especially the first time when I was on the ground and just had a bow. They need to coincide bear season with deer season. Theres just getting to be way to many and the bear hunters want shoot em unless they are big. This year is the most bear sign Ive ever seen and have seen 3 (sow and 2 cubs).

I have 1 spot where I have to walk through laurel for a pretty good distance. Was going through there 1 morning when 1 whoofed at me. Thats a sound they make when they feel threatened. I was just walking along and soon as it did that my knees literally buckled. My stride got twice as long after that till I got into more open woods

I would guess some of the shots you here are people shooting at bear.

Last edited by nate121080; 12-03-2010 at 06:56 AM.