HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Semi auto Deer Rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

The older Remington 740's and 742's have issues with the guns wearing out prematurely, so I'd stay away from them if it was me.

The Remington 7400's don't seem to have this issue and seem to be pretty decent guns. This may be the only thing you can find in your price range unless you luck up on a cheap BAR. The 7400's aren't bad, but not great either. I've got a couple of hunting of hunting buddies that have these, and they don't seem to be any more accurate than the BAR's or R1's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these, I just think the Browning is a nicer rifle.

The Benelli R1's and Browning BAR's are probably the best two options in the semi auto world. Contrary to what Big Country tells you, your semi auto will probably not be the most accurate thing in the world. I've learned that with my BAR that 1.5-2" groups are about as good as it gets and that's with bullets it loves. This is for Pre 93 Bars without the BOSS. Ones it doesn't like produce huge groups. 98% of the guys I've talked to claim that this is all you can expect from a BAR and Browning says 2" is the normal for them. Yet somehow Big Country seems to think they are all sub moa guns, yet they are often not. This accuracy is plenty fine for deer hunting which is what they are made for, but it's nothing great either. IMO they are great hunting rifles, and if that's what you want it for these are a good choice. These two are far better in quality than the Remington 7400, but at the same time, they are usually out of your price range.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-01-2010 at 07:18 PM.