HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time gun owner... what to purchase and where
Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
marlin30/30_drabe
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cullbuck
Don't think that you are bothering folks with questions, can't you tell folks like giving their opinions on guns?! LOL

Autos tend to kick less than pumps. Pumps tend to be more reliable than autos. Both can shoot "fast" in the right hands. To me, personally, I think an auto is worth the extra money. That is just because I like them better. You'll find that many like pumps better than autos. If I were you, just starting out and all, I'd get a pump.

The 20 ga kicks less and provides the shooter more of a challenge because the shells hold fewer shot than the 12 ga. Some argue that the 20 ga has better range than a 12 ga (I haven't investigated that fully). Personally, I'm not about being challenged when I shoot at anything. I want to have the best chance of hitting what I'm shooting at, so I'm a 12 ga man. The recoil doesn't bother me as much as missing something. If I were you I'd get the 12 ga. If you get good with the 12 ga, then start shooting a 20 ga.
like cullbuck siad you are not bothering us. you could get an auto. i would get a pump but its your decision. i prefer pumps but then again its all i have. the only autos i have are .22s. each will serve you well. another to take in mind is that some of the low end autos are junk