HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - private land hunting question
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
bushanic
Fork Horn

dylanm getting on private land can be the hardest part of hunting. I have found it to be a big part of my hunting experience. I find getting access to private land is just as much of a challenge as a big buck you get one chance to make a good shoot/first impression. You can make it a little easier if a friend owns some land in a area spend a year enjoying it and watching the neighbors to see what is going on in the area..how much gun hunting,how many other hunters, dog running, hunt clubs and if they start to see you always Wave like you just saw a old friend.

If your friend needs help around the house afford to help. I started with 3 6 acre lots a friend owns and started searching the G.I.S in the area. this gives you a lot of info the owners name,acreage and the taxes they pay. At first I afford to pay my friends taxes and then he bought a lot with a old house on it and now we cut he 4 acre of grass. I have also call and stop by with most of the neighbor and cut their grass or do some handy man stuff around the house for them.Most of them are retried folks and dont have family in the area I feel they like to have someone around. When you start knocking on doors you will find NO will be the most likely answer will get. you need a sales approach something to get your foot in the door. try to just get on the property for 2 to 4 hunts if that if you don't gun hunt sale it a lot of people don't want guns shooting around their house. we are a archery only family that by itself got us 60 acres. If they say no ask if you can come back next year to ask again (they might say sure ) then you might have a chance thats when you have to be patience dont be afraid to stop and talk with them in this time this is when they are trying to see who and what you are they are reading you. I could go on and on Just remember its their land and be very polite. Good luck