HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Savage 220F first day & my biggest buck
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
ol eagle eyes
Spike

Default Savage 220F first day & my biggest buck

Well it was opening day today, and I just recently sighted in my new Savage 20 gauge. With grouping at 100 yards that I couldnt fathom a shotgun could do, I was very eager to try this '20 gauge riffle' out. On morning watch I dumped a small doe at around 60-75 yards. I was pretty thrilled but still only a small deer. I hardly ever see the biggins. Infact the only real big one is the one in my avatar and thats not even a wall hanger by most standards. I was prepared with a whole weeks worth of supplies at hunting camp... hopefully I'd see a nice buck sometime during the week (never hunting the entire week before, usually just weekend).

Headed out for evening watch and half way to my treestand I hear that crunch crunch crunch of a deer trotting through. One partial glimpse of the rack through the brush and my gun was drawn and heart beating. It turned and was passing broadside about 60-70 yards. Problem is this is thick woods, with lots of brush. I had no shot! Lots of cuss words were going through my head! Finally it held up for just a second, and its body was centered in the V of a large tree. I could see the legs and in between but no head or tail. Good enough for me! Bang! He took off running and I couldnt tell if I hit him. Disappeared into the brush, no second shot possible. Waited a few minutes and headed over... we have blood! Followed it for 75-100 yards and found him. I hit him center-high. Dragging out by myself was no fun, I think my back is going to be stiff in the morning. Hard to say for sure but think he's 18 point. I finally got a nice one after 18 years of hunting! Hey wait a minute - 18 years and I get an 18 point! Anyhow I am super thrilled. He is non-typical, but I always wanted one of those crazy lookin' racks. Got to find a taxidermist tomorrow...
Attached Images    

Last edited by ol eagle eyes; 11-29-2010 at 10:08 PM.