HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best slug gun?
Thread: Best slug gun?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM
DocD
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RyanVT
Hey guys. Ive been researching slug guns need a little help from my fellow hunters. Im looking for a slug gun for a trip to ohio next year and to use here in vermont for deer. My question is what to get? ive heard alot about the h and r but its single shot not sure about that. I'm more so looking for a dedicated slug gun. any help would be great! if you have a favorite scope for them to throw that info in to please.
Truth-be-told, you can probley action the H&R single as fast as you can the bolt. H&R makes many different models and some are just a beast, weighing in at over 9#, (not real sure but I think I looked at one that ran about 11#) if your looking at the Pardner series look to the 12ga, as it can be scoped much easier than the 20ga, and a heads up!!! the 12 will let you know you shot, I would look into a good recoil pad. there are a lot of good bolt actions on the market, if you have the extra money, find (good luck) a Browning A-Bolt, they are not made anymore, I don't think anyone would argue they are the best, but almost any of the name brand slug guns will serve you well, be it be Savage, Mossberg, etc, maybe more important is the "Slug" (and there are many) a good sabot be it Remington,winchester etc is a must, the days of $2.00 a box slugs are over expect to pay $4/5.00 per slug ($20.00) box, but well worth it. I'm with you on getting a dedicated slug gun!! a smart move, as to the scope, I like the fixed scope (2x) and something a lot of people overlook, a shotgun scope reacts different than a rifle scope, I can't go into the details, (to complicated) but I would look for a Shotgun scope! Good Luck Doc