HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Not looking foward to Saturday!
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
motorpig262
Spike

I really get tired of this too. I hunt on private land which borders private land that others hunt on. I hear shot after shot after shot while hunting coming from the same person. I'm not sure what the heck they are doing but it happens a lot around here. Are they freaking shooting at the deer while the deer are running after missing their first shot!? I've not been hunting long but do feel that I have stronger hunting ethic than a lot of my fellow rednecks out there don't have. I've never believed in shooting a moving deer. Especially a running deer like I saw a friend of mine unload on this past season (and it was a 60 pound spike at that). Another friend of mine took a 8 point buck that turned and was running away from him. He shot it in the butt and LUCKILY it didn't run long. WTF makes any since at all about doing this? Let the darn thing live for someone that can put a good shot on the thing and don't take a chance on gimping it and letting it run off and die never to be found. (tracking any distance around here would likely put you on 10 different people property). I had the opportunity to take a shot at a nice 10 point last season. The shot ranged at close to 285 yards, and i was hunting with a 7mag. I didn't take the shot even though the buck paused for several seconds in the wide open. I personally didn't feel like I could make a clean shot on the deer and passed on it. I've told multiple people about this chance I had and every single one of them say "I'd took the shoot". Exactly what I figured they would say. Why take the shot on a trophy deer that your not confident in? I understand that your not often going to drop a deer right where it stands but again save the deer for someone that can comfortably make the shot. Even more so on a NICE BUCK. I just really get tired of seeing and hearing this from the people around me.

Last edited by motorpig262; 11-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.