HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caliber of choice?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 PM
steve25
Fork Horn

I have a rem model 742 30-06 auto 150gr coreloks, Rem .270 auto 130gr coreloks, 30-30 Glenfield 160gr Hornady Leverevolations and a Rem .243 100gr coreloks for deer.

The old (DEC 1975) woodsmaster 742 30-06 auto is very near retairment if not already there been having alot of issues with it jamming over the past several years. It has the dreded lug scares in the back of the receiver. But that gun will never leave my family it was my grandpas and was pasted down to me now my son but it is becoming a safety issue don't want anyone to loose an eye!!!

That guns has always been a shooter for everyone except me!! I guess I just can't take the recoil. I know it doesn't hurt but I still want to pull the shot with that gun.

One day my son was out shooting with some guys one was a 270 mag and the other 300 Win mag. 375yrd shots after some adjustment to his scope on the 30 06 the other guys where bench shooting with a prop and he was free handed and just smoked both of them with the 30-06 and then with there own guns. I kid you not my 17 year old son is one of the two best free hand shooters I have ever seen and the other is my dad. Dad likes to take a soda can out to 75yrds and pull the tab up and shoot through the top whole on it with a .22!!! By the paper behind the can and the nicks in the inside of the top hole on the tab, it's hard to beat 10 out of 10 and these are done as I said free handed. Just blows my mind!!!

30-30 Free Handed I shot a deer this year at just under 200yrd it ran 50 feet and was done. That is an very long shot for a 30-30 but those leverevolutions really help at longer distances but you have to still guess some on the elevation of your aiming point.

.243 USE to be my favorite gun. I have taken many deer with it and enjoy shooting at varmites with it.

.270 This was my first year using it and all I can say is holy crap batman!!! Both where free handed shots the first deer shot with it was a heart shot at 170Yrds! No aiming high like the 30 30. Second deer put the crosshairs right on it and the shot was a 210yrds shot it hit the upper part of the heart and as with the first one it dropped and didn't even flinch. So this is my go to gun now for dang sure. I know these distance are not real extreme but when you go from a 30 30 these shots are now more realisticand and repeatable without doing an educated guess taken from shoting at those distances at the range.

I know more and more people these days shooting .270 than anyother gun, I just showed up late to the party!