HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 9 - Team Buckaneers
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 03:32 AM
Lady Forge
Nontypical Buck

Well I have been focusing on videotaping more than hunting... but I did still manage to get 2 more Doe's.
One was a very small doe ( no pic's ) but she made some of the best jerky I have had this year
Then
Took the video camera and decided I would take a doe only if she wasnt in heat and or being followed by a buck , if the oppertunity presented itself.
I stoped counting Doe's and fawn's sighted at 16 , they were everywhere, must have seen 7 or 8 bucks.
Big doe came in at roughly 13-15 yards but she was being hounded by a dink buck so she got a free pass.
Had a doe fawn then her mother and then her button buck come by me single file at 9 yards at the farthest, with no bucks following, so the big doe was my target and to be honest when I shot I didnt see where the arrow hit her. She bounded off to 25 yards from my tree and turned so I gave her another arrow and she bolted off.
She went in the thick stuff and I lost sight of her as her fawns hung around a while. Later her fawns returned 3 different times and the 3rd time they even brought another doe with them.( didnt get the kill on video)
In the direction that my arrowed doe went I heard a loud buck roar, but couldnt see what made the roar, till a little while later what looked like a 2 1/2 old 8 point emerged from her area. I saw him 3 times that morning as well.
I watched alot of smaller bucks chase does and doe fawns all morning.It was pretty much non stop deer and chasing all morning till about 11:30am.
I then see a doe that just appeared like it seemed out of no where, she was about 40 yards and I see a shooter buck following her, he gets to roughly 30 yards from me and just stands guard over the doe, and would occasionally stomp and grunt at her.
I noticed something funny was going on with him... The lower last half of his back leg is gone...He is a 3 legged buck and his rack is a Big 4 Points on his left side, but 2 up points and one drop tine on the other side. I watched as he limped around severly after her, he limped so bad that when he would take a step his rump would almost hit the ground, ( and I got all of him with the doe on video )
So when I decided the deer sightings were starting to slack off and I needed a bathroom break I climbed down.
Once I started blood tracking my doe and found an area completly covered in blood and deer hair and looked like someone had just tore the ground up with a hoe and then a blood trail again till I spotted my down doe...luckly she died 25 yards on our side from the neighbors property line.
So I tagged her and returned to my car and
( while I was eating Venison Jerky... Yummy ) waited for christine to show up with the deer cart to help us haul the doe from the woods to the car.
Once we went to load the doe on the cart christine noticed some extras holes in the doe's rump. We then relized that the 2 1/2 old 8 pointer must have been the one whom I heard roar , he must have been the one that was goaring my doe with his antlers in the rump trying to get her to get up ( turned out my 1st shot at her was good and did her in).
I also noticed she had some pretty funky teeth allignment and wear , gonna have to age her, I think she was old ?
I have a friend whom the economy hasnt been to kind to that is making her into homemade summer sausage and jerky... I cant wait to eat it
So then Louie and I decided to bowhunt in the morning for doe's on an area a few days ago and climb trees a few hundred yards apart from each other... Louie took his photo camera and I took my video camera...louie got pics of this buck under 20 yards but it was still just a bit to dark for the camera to get a decent photo of him. But I attached them anyways

I hope you all have a chance to get out and take a deer !!!!!
and
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE
Attached Images