HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Gun accuracy 400 to 500 yds.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rickyb1
born2climb, The bullet that we use in the Ruger M77 Mark II .220 swift is a Hornady V-MAX 40 grain Moly.
With haveing shot over 50K rounds out of the various 6-7 rifles I have owned in .220 Swift, 22-250, 1 Cooper Arms in .223, not too mention what I shoot at work related situations, unless it was with my Accuracy International AWM in .338 Lapua Magnum, then you can put a 1 in front of those distances, I feel that I have a tad of knowledge of what they can and can not do.
With haveing loaded for all of these rifles and various other peoples weapons and have seen what these rounds are capable of, I don't feel it was a calculated shot, just a "HOLYS&*T, I hit it" shot!!! Especially with a 40grn V-Max which is and was intended to be shot at varmint size targets considering its thin jacket and light weight design.
Now if you were talking about a custom barrell with say, a 1-8" twist or 1-7" twist and was shooting 70-80grn projectiles, I could see that w/o question. My Ruger 77 MKII in 22-250 just turned in some .375" C/C 5-shot groups with some Berger 55grn VLD's that I could not see it happen with even in the hands of the right shooter. I have a Burris Signature Series 6x18x40mm on it and on my .220 Savage I have a Nightforce 4.5x20x50mm. I am not calling anyone anything, I just find it hard to see. How far did this deer travel after being hit and where was it hit?