HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pisses me off
Thread: pisses me off
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 AM
J.M.A.N.
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alex G.
After reading all the responces to the original post I'm thinking I need to comment alittle more than just a +1 to Teresec.

A few of the responces to seabee77 were spot on. Get permission of the surrounding areas "prior to hunting the land". My hats off to those that responded that way.

For those that said, you tried, he's a jerk, go get it anyway, wait until dark. WOW, I really can't believe that these are responces coming from land owners and hunters! Next time your sitting there looking out your window at night and see a flashlight walking thru your woods, think about what you wrote and then think about your actions that will follow.

Ethical hunting does not only encompass treating others, the land and the animals with respect, but it also encompasses the way you plan for a hunt and the way you handle yourself during it. Prior planning makes for great bedfellows and touching bases with all the landowners "months" prior to the hunting season will either pay great dividends... or you will know where you should not hunt because you don't have permission to enter the land. Would you really want to take a chance on entering private land to retreive a dead or perhaps wounded deer when you dont know the land? I personally would not want to be on the receiving end of a silenced .22, a piano wire booby trap or a angry group of the landowners dogs in the middle of the night or in broad daylight for that matter.

Lets all do the right thing and tell the OP the correct answer.
Excellent post. Being a land owner and a hunter I can't believe some of the posts here disreguarding the land owner's rights. I pay taxes, insurance, and upkeep of my property and when you cross over onto my posted private property, you are disrepecting me and my family. I do think the land owner should have allowed you to retrieve the deer. I would have. If I would not, then such is life and that is my right. Better preparation and a better shot would have prevented this all together. I have hunted large game in Alaska for over twenty years and always take a neck shot. You will either kill the animal or miss completely. Never had one shot in the neck that didn't drop in it's tracks. Same with whitetail deer.