HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter here, questions about shotguns
Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM
30-06 deerslayer
Spike

It sounds as if you just want to get started in hunting and want a weapon that will let you hunt almost any animal.I won a mossberg 500 shotgun at a gun raffle with screw in chokes.it came with mod.imp.full and extra full chokes.I bought a rifled barrel for it on e-bay and use that for deer.I hunt in ohio with the mossberg because ohio is shotgun only.in pa I use my 760 30-06 pump for deer.I like both guns but do prefer the rifle over the shotgun.I would suggest you start out with a shotgun and be able to hunt more game with it.I started out with a single barrel shotgun because that is what my dad had to give me.I now own two 760 rifles,a 30-30 pump a 30-30 stevens bolt action,an inline 50caliber muzzleloader, a 500 mossberg shotgun and a ithica model 37 12 ga shotgun. also included in my collection is a recurve, compound and just last year my new crossbow. the reason I brought up all the weapons you see here is not to brag about what I have but to show you that once you get started in hunting and get addicted it doesn't matter what you start out with you will eventually inherit a bunch of weapons to enjoy the sport of hunting and that is the most important thing.the next step will be to show someone else how to get started in the sport.good luck to you whatever you choose to hunt with.