HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hoping to plan a MT hunt... help appreciated
Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM
hillbillyhunter1
Nontypical Buck

South East MT is gonna be a good place to hunt deer and antelope (Elk there is great too...but limited draw and really tough odds). However, just the cost of a non-res general tag is going to be pricey on a student budget. around $500. or so for deer and $200 or so for antelope, I believe. The odds of even drawing a general tag at all are probably about 1 in 3 anyway, so chances are it may not happen. I would at least apply if I were you though (for those two distinctive tags) because if you get one you can surely have a worthwhile hunt for both species..."do-it-yourself"....lots of public land around..call MT fwp and get info on their block management plan as well.

The "rez" itself will not be worthwhile unless you get in good with the chief or something and get to hunt their mountain country for elk or buffalo...maybe get him some free meds...lol

On a brighter note, if you like to fish you are in paradise as the bighorn river is awesome and is right there.

Also, if the big game doesn't work out, you may consider just getting an upland bird and waterfowl lic as the hunting for those is also excellent in that area and it is a (relatively) cheap OTC license.

Although crow agency and lame deer are real armpits...you may end up staying in MT (somewhere else) permanently....if you're smart and really love the out-of-doors

good luck