HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another indiana 19 pointer down.
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 05:26 PM
bristowboy_20
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
Once again I look upon these nice Hoosier Deer and I say only letting us shoot one Buck in our state is paying off big time. Now lets nock down some of these good eating Does!
you got it! I complained to DNR headquarters that the buck to doe ratio was totally out of whack. The guy told me that according to the tests they did, everything looked fine. They didnt go out and do field observations. They took their statistics from the number of bucks to doe's shot each year. The numbers were close. They didnt count button bucks or anything.

But the problem with this is that most people were holding out for bucks and not shooting does. If the ratio was closer to being 50/50 then I think the number of bucks being shot would be higher than the doe's just for the fact that most people are looking for a buck.

Anyways, the year I complained is the year the rules began changing. The doe bag limits went way up.

And if they want bigger bucks in Indiana, I think a 4 point rule would do the trick. More bucks would have a chance to gain some years. a 4 point, 1 buck rule. It would be tougher to get a buck for the first 2 or 3 years, but after that, there should be quite a few niceee bucks running around.

I could be wrong