HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Powerbelt -vs- Sabots
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

I've killed 3 deer with 295 grain Power Belt Hollow Points backed by 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets. I know quite a few guys that use this same setup, and I can honestly say that I've not been impressed and from what they have told me they have had the same issues. The only reason a few of them haven't switched is they think sabots are a pita. I switched along with a few guys to Federal Fusions this year.

The problem I had with the Powerbelts is that of the 3 deer I killed only one had a blood trail. The first one I ever shot with them I saw run into the woods. When I got to the edge of the woods where he went in I could see him laying there. I didn't find any blood at all from where I shot him to where he was even though it was a perfect double lung hit.

The time I shot a deer it was two in the field. I shot the first one which was a doe and I saw her run about 20 yards and drop right in the middle of the field. There was also a spike that stayed there even after me shooting and gave me time to reload and shoot him too. I shot him and he instantly fell and started kicking. Next thing I know he jumped up and ran off. We never did find him. I never found any blood, but a friend helping me look did find a tiny bit of blood on a tree where he had rubbed up against it, but that was it.

The doe, I had seen where she fell, but once again it was no blood trail at all from where I shot her to where she lay.

The next deer a buck walked out 20 yards or so from me and I hit him a little low. Aimed low, but aimed a little too low. I hit the shoulder bone and the bullet somehow made an entrance hole about the size of a baseball. He made it about 150 yards, but there was a large blood trail the whole way to him.

So out of the 4 deer I shot with these bullets I only found 3 and only 1 of those 4 had a blood trail. My buddy using these has had the same problem but refuses to use anything with a sabot. He has lost several deer that he knows he has hit, but can't find any blood. He has also killed several that he has found, but they haven't had a blood trail either. The only pass through I had was on the doe.

I got fed up with this and switched along with another buddy. He got one deer with the Fusions and it passed through on a nice buck and left a great blood trail all the way to the dead deer about 50 yards away. I can say I was impressed and hope to get to try out this load on a deer too.

I also tried 150 grains of powder, and for me it kicked like hell and the bullets seemed to be key holing, so I dropped down to 100 grains of powder and have used that since.