HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Powerbelt -vs- Sabots
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 AM
hardwoodhank
Spike

I have a CVA and have been shooting it for 5 seasons now. I tried the 3rd season to try something new and went with the Hornady sabots. Far less accuracy in the same grain and powder load.

This year I went with the 295 Platinum Aerotip and I always use the magnim load. I have a scope on mine and can put 3" groups @ 100 yrds.

This year on opening day I used the Platinum Aerotips for the first time and Shot a nice big bodied deer at about 10 ft under my stand at 30 ft high. I put the crosshairs just at tip of right shoulder from the sharp angle I was shooting at. Dead nuts heart shot with no exit wound with 150 grns of powder and a 295 grn Platinum sabot. His heart was like mashed potatoes.

I was told by a reliable source that the CVA guns are almost made for powebelt sabots and Im a believer. I havent found a sabot yet with the same results as Powerbelt sabots, although I will not shoot hollow points for any distance. I switched to aerotips a few years ago and they are by far the most accurate sabot I have shot at any distance.

This is the bruiser I got November 1 at 10 ft...without an exit wound!