HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what caliber levergun do i want?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 AM
wimike1969
Spike

I use a Rossi 20" SS .44 magnum with hornady leverevolution ammo and a mounted Redfield Widefield 4X scope. My thinking when I bought this gun after much research came down to a few factors.

1. Everyone owns a 30-30. Let's be honest those that love guns also love to have the one that few others have.
2. I wanted a gun that was versatile and gets the job done the first time. Been close to bear instances before and swore the next time I would not be under gunned. Could be the last time if you know what I mean.
3. Cost to use even over the counter ammo is comparable to othe other calibers.
4. Have to understand your hunting grounds. If your taking hill shots across fields or long stretches the 30-30 will prove to be the better ammo for most. However when hunting in brush and woods I want a round that delivers punch and stays on line within that 100 yard or less kill zone that most people report taking on 90% of their kills.

Great gun that suited my personal needs. As always if you personally love your gun then that is all that truly matters.

Last edited by wimike1969; 11-21-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Wanted to explain further