HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - food plot instructions
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Get the soil sample as soon as you can. Correct the pH for sure as soon as you can. Because your plot is "only" about 1 acre, consider using a fast acting pelleted lime. This product works great and is easily spread with a standard pull behind spreader. It is however a good deal more expensive that bulk "ag lime". If you can manage the work, about mid June over-spray with Round-Up. Generic stuff like Eraser works great and is usually less costly than Monsanto's labeled product. If your plot has saplings or heavy with briars in it, I suggest adding about 2-4-D to the mix. After 3-4 weeks, what is going to be killed should be dead and dry. Bush-hogging will be easier. Then again about 2 weeks before you plan to disk the field, repeat the application of Round-Up. This should break the seed cycle and reduce the fall weed competition to a minimum.

Go to your local USDA extension agency or check with maybe U. Kentucky's web site for suggestions of what to plant in your area. I have found local seed mixes are big time better as far as germination and survival, and 50% or less costly than the nationally advertised so called "monster buck" blends. I must be fair and add that several of my friends that have smaller food plots use these products with excellent success. For example the mix I used this fall was $15/50# and contained 3 grains and 1 clover that grows great in SE Alabama. I added to the mix a few more pounds of Crimson clover which does well here, and turnips just for grins. Problem with turnips is once they are frozen hard the roots rot and they are of no value. So it is a gamble. I also use 13/13/13 for the fertilizer at a rate of 200#/acre. That is what my soil test suggested for game food plots. I would estimate that between the herbicide, seeds and fertilizer I am probably at about $125/acre not counting the cost of the ATV sprayer, pull behind spreader and fuel.