HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - VA Rut Watch
Thread: VA Rut Watch
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
hardwoodhank
Spike

I believe that between this wekend and just after Thanksgiving the second phase of estrous will be on. I have rattled in an 8 and a high basket 6 with a decoy but not the buck I have been pursuing since I harvested my 8 on opening BP. Stick to it this week and for sure the action will pick up for the remainder of the next week or so. Im seeing good sign, and with the hounds pressuring the club lands, my private land is holding alot more seeking sanctuary...until tomorrow morning! Ive found that by just tickling a set of antlers (rattling) for the first few minutes in stand, followed by a few bawls you will get the attention of any buck in hearing distance. Settle down for another 20 minutes and then let loose with grunts and rattling unless you already see him coming (just dont forget the lure of your choice), the mature bucks will be on the scout for the hot does as the younger ones may not be so visible with all the pressure from the last week or two. I have had great luck, at least where I hunt in Western Hanover.

I had my decoy out about 30 yrds fom my blind on a clover field on Wednesday doing some heavy rattling...nothing. I decided to sneak out for about 30 minutes to go move a climber I had on a tree and come back. When I came back my decoy was trashed and my trail cam got a really nice symetrical 8 on film putting a mike tyson on "bucky". Needless to say I was a bit heartboken. I bet the late morning, with the moonphase and barometric that the late morning on saturday has to offer is when you will see most of the activity. The second cycle of estrous is going on as we speak Im sure, and with the chilly mornings and late afternoons look at edges of fields.

After this, its gonna be a slow season for us that hunt in stands on private land. Im fortunate to be bordered on 2 sides by clubs. My north border is a 12' wide creek and if the dogs cross after the deer, I know the hunters wont, so I will be there for them!

Good luck, keep your chin up and an eye open. Its coming back around for the next week!