HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Virginia 8 point
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
justinbaki
Spike

Default Virginia 8 point

He is not one to put on the wall, but it was a fun hunt.

We got into the woods at about 2:30pm. I was barely settled in the stand when I saw a rack moving through the thick woods in front of me. He took his time coming out, but he eventually came out to check a scrape in a small clearing directly in front of my stand. He was not quite broadside, but I could see enough shoulder to take a shot. With the crosshairs right behind the shoulder I let the hammer drop. He ran across the clearing in front of me and into some thick scrub. I thought I heard him fall but I wasn't sure, so I gave him some time.

When I climbed down, I could not find any blood at all. My heart sank as I looked closer and still could not find any blood. I called in a hunting buddy to help me look, and after a few minutes he found the smallest speck of blood on a blade of grass. I assumed I had made a very poor shot with as little blood as we were seeing. Like a bloodhound, he followed a very small blood trail to the treeline near where I lost sight of the deer. 10 yards into the brush, we found the deer. The shot was lethal and clean, right behind the shoulder through both lungs.

He only made it about 35 yards from where I shot, but he did not bleed at all for the first 25 yards. The scrub he ran into was so thick it was tough to find him. I was thrown by the lack of blood, so I was pumped when we found him.
Attached Images