HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me or???
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
TeamWiscoUNIT61
Fork Horn

I will share a little bit of my side as I am a big QDM advocate. I was raised practicing, and believe in it whole heartedly. I will start by saying I often go to sit in a stand with nothing but a video camera as I get just as much thrill seeing one then shooting one. That being said, the past couple years our relationship with our hunting partner (who is family) went south, Very south...What a shame. I think about all the memories from years past, all the camaraderie that is now being missed, and that IS what it is all about, for me. I can say I havent taken a deer in a couple years, I have still been hunting a bit and have seen literally hundreds, but it is more about the camp and the good fellowship, so my ambition had dwindled.
Now, having said THAT, to each his own is what it comes down to, but in MY opinion/in our case, we spend a LOT of money to hunt,especially where we do (not to say most others dont) and be able to experience this great sport with our friends/family, so why not get the best out of it. By best in my opinion, I mean, the best experience. It goes without saying that the younger, more immature deer, are much more easily taken and hunted. Theyre not as witty, they dont seem to have that 'instinct' that keeps them just out of harms way. Harvesting a mature deer (regardless of buck or doe) is much more difficult, and in my opinion, more rewarding. I've said before, any hunter who says they havent dreamed or longed to see a monster come out and give them a shot at it, is lying. Taking does is a large part of QDM, therfore my freezer is full. No one owes anyone anything in terms of passing deer etc, if someone is taking a deer simply for meat than, more power to em'. No person who hunts for meat should then look at a QDM practicer in any negative way either. I'm just offering a mentality of someone who I guess you would consider a 'trophy hunter'....