HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best safety harness?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
houser52
Spike

I'm also new to the subject of safety vests/ harnesses even though I've hunted from a treestand for 25+ years.

I did lots of reading on the subject and everyone's harness/vest is the best one you can buy. I tried to search different forums to see which had the best reviews and there again it was always personal preference to which was the best.

I ordered a popular harness and it was uncomfortable because the legs straps grabbed the back of my legs no matter how I adjusted them. I would bend over and when I stood up the straps stayed low on my thighs which caused the shoulder straps to get tight. I felt like I was wearing a straight jacket so I sent it back.

Now I have ordered another brand name harness but I can't comment on it until I get it and try it on, however I did try on one one of their other vest models at Dick's Sporting Goods and it felt pretty good.

On the subject of suspension trauma I think I have that figured out too. My plan is, after the first trip up the stand I'll attach a "lifeline"
with a prussic knot to the tree and be clipped to it while in the stand. Under the prussic I'm going to attach another prusic loop that I can use to help me either climb up or down the "lifeline" in case I should fall and can't get back into the stand.

That method is used by tree climbers and rock climbers so it's a proven method. I'll just have to practice to see if it works for me.

Good luck with your quest on finding a harness.

11-20-10 Update-

I received my new Hunter Safety System Ultra Lite harness yesterday. Everything is included and ready to use.
Watched the DVD and read the instructions, everything pretty straight forward. Took only a couple minutes to get it adjusted to fit.

I can say that it's very well made and easy to put on and take off. The shoulder straps are padded and easy to adjust. Best of all it's comfortable and the legs straps do not bind on the back of my thighs like the other brand of harness I tried.
I'm very satisfied with it so far.

Last edited by houser52; 11-20-2010 at 06:54 AM.