HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - He Got Lucky Today!
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Maddog10
Fork Horn

Default He Got Lucky Today!

So I get into the condo stand this morning about 5:45 to a crisp 34 degrees. There was a low cloud of fog covering the ground and it looked like a perfect morning to be hunting. Right at 6:30, a nice 8-point about 17 or 18 inches wide walks out into the field at about 100 yards. I put the binoculars on him and decide that he needs another year, plus two bigtime bucks had been seen from the same stand yesterday morning. What a beautiful sight it was to the watch the buck walk off into the fog on a crisp sunday morning as the sun was just beginning to rise.

I sat another 45 minutes just enjoying my first hunt of the season, with no action since that first buck. I had been watching this one particular area very closely, where the field narrowed down to about a 40 yard wide nook with a thicket on each side, about 280 yards from the stand. I gazed carefully at that area, and then raised my binoculars and started looking at the other side of the field, just following the treeline all the way around. When my binoculars finally worked their way back to that nook in the field, the sight nearly took my breath away. Walking through this area was one of the big boys that had been the talk of the deer camp. I had heard stories of this deer, and a buddy of mine missed him last year, but the stories didn't do him justice. From nearly 300 yards away, even to the naked eye there was no doubt he was the one. He had the tallest rack I have ever seen in person, and he turned and looked at me for just a second and was every bit of 22 inches wide, mainframe 10 pointer. This deer was no doubt over 165", and probably closer to mid 170's. Anyways, just as he stopped to gaze around, a doe stepped out of the tree line in front of him, and just like that he bolted after her. I was just getting my sights zeroed in on him, and that dam* doe ruined it all. haha... I went back to the same stand this afternoon but just saw that same 8-pointer and a couple other decent bucks. Anyways, I just wanted to share my story. I'm all tore up over this deer now haha. If it hadn't been for that doe and her unbelievably bad timing then I think I would be sharing pictures now.