HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - neighbors baiting
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 AM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nysmoker
I am hunting western ny and baiting of any kind is illegal. Noticed a major shift in deer movement patterns IE deer were moving away from feeding zones ... night and day . Started looking around and found 3 different big piles of corn on the neighbors property... with cameras. Asked them what was up with this and they said just using it to get pics . Now they dont bow hunt only gun .We hunt small tracts of land and when one messes with the patterns it messes all around them.I do have permission to hunt on them and sometimes i have to go over to retrieve a deer so i dont want a huge pissing match but still it has really screwed with my hunting . Now i could move my stands closer to the property line and be within 50 yards of one of there bait piles , but that would make me no better than them .Gun season is a week away and if i report it i wouldnt be able to hunt a large section of my own land do to the proximity of the bait to the property lines.There is a 30 day rule of no hunting near a bait pile within 30 days of clean up .I own 37 acres and they have 25.Guess im really kind of stuck for this year ... gonna have to shut up suck it up and remind them of the rules for next year ... just venting i guess.
Man you are in a tough spot! I would very carefully determine that 50 yard mark and be ABSOLUTELY sure that you are outside of the "infraction zone". What is done is done for this year.

You may wish to speak to your neighbor and be a little more clear on this subject. I would bet that the baiting rule is there for hunting purposes and also covers "getting pictures" so it would be illegal all around. You might want to ask them that if they want to do this in the future that they please do it atleast 50 yards from your property so you don't effectively lose huntable area on your land.

It is extremely rare that a CO will accept the arguement of, "but I didn't know the bait was there". You never know....a CO may already know the bait is there and plan on paying a visit to see if anyone is hunting it during gun season.

Your neighbor put you in legal jeapordy.