HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 16 - Rack Addicts
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 AM
zmax hunter
Typical Buck

Helo fellow hunters,...good grief,...its been a very long endless summer.

I have hunted nearly 50 days (probably more) ,..having lost track weeks ago. I have seen alot of nice bucks, had several close encounters, spent many hours working with clients along with single-handedly wiring a 9k sq ft house. Thus my internet hiatus...for that, i apologize.

My wife killed an awesome 10 pointer a week ago today, Here is some of her story.

As many of you know Brian got me into archery this past year and I’ve been having a lot of fun shooting my bow and even went turkey hunting this past spring. I didn’t get a turkey but had so much fun! Well this Oct. 1st was the beginning of my first deer season with a bow. I’ve put in a lot of hours and have enjoyed every minute, had so many close encounters with wildlife it’s just been awesome. Well, Nov. 4th I headed out to a spot we’ve been seeing a nice 8 pointer but when I got there it was too windy for this wimp to get up in a tree stand. Brian had told me before about a spot in the timber that I should try sitting so I decided to give it a try. I walked in and found the fallen tree he suggested I sit in front of and took a look around and thought I’ll never be able to do this he’s crazy! I decided to stay put as he suggested. I’m sitting on the ground with my legs crossed ‘Indian style’ which if you’ve ever shot a bow you’ll know isn’t the easiest position for shooting. LOL! I was leaned back against the log waiting for magic hour just before sunset which is when the deer usually start moving, but they were moving early tonight and I had seen one buck come through the timber out of range.

After sitting about an hour I look to my right and see an 8 pointer standing there staring right at me so I froze and watched as a little 6 joined him. The two of them were very interested in me and kept coming in closer trying to smell me and see what I was. I was starting to think I would have to defend myself! They were standing a mere 10 feet away and directly downwind! It was the most amazing experience. I was texting Brian to tell him all about it when I heard something to my left and turned to see my buck standing less than 20 yards from me. I literally dropped my phone on the ground and picked up my bow. He started raking a tree so I pulled my bow up and he stopped and looked right at me. I froze and he didn’t seem to know I was there, he started walking in my general direction then he stopped at another tree and lowered his head to rub on it. When he lowered his head I drew my bow and followed him as he walked closer. He was less than 10 yards when I took the shot. I was shaking so bad after I shot that I kept sending Brian blank text messages. LOL!

What an incredible experience, I’m hooked for life with this whole archery thing! Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone, I hope all is well with you and yours.

LuAnn

Her first bow buck scored 148 even, I am so proud of her, she certainly is a quick learner!

Last edited by zmax hunter; 11-11-2010 at 04:01 AM.