HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Indiana 8 down
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 PM
PastorJim08
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Indiana 8 down

This story really begins last Thanksgiving when my daughter and son-in-law were visiting from Florida for the holiday. While my son-in-law was at my house last Thanksgiving, he asked me if he could shoot my bow, he had never picked up a bow before. He was immediately hooked, and against my advice, he went home to Florida and purchased an old outdated bow from craigslist. He did practice regularly though and when he graduated nursing school in May, my daughter surprised him with a new Bowtech. He worked hard over the summer and announced to me in August that he was coming to Indiana for his first hunt. He came in Nov. 2nd and we started hunting. He missed a small 6pt. his second day on the stand. We went the rest of the week and saw deer everytime we were out but no shots were presented. Last night, the 8th was his last time to hunt. I was sitting in the stand thinking; well he got a shot and saw alot of deer. Not too bad for your first hunting trip. It was about 20min before legal shhoting light would end when I hear what sounded like a deer running in my direction. it suddenly stopped with a big crash. I wasn't sure exactly what I had heard when my phone rings and it's my son-in-law speaking in a very high voice and completely out of breath. He sounded so disoriented, I thought he had fallen out of the stand. when i finally got him calmed down enought to speak in a reasonable manner, he told me he had just shot a nice buck and he wasn't sure what happened. I told him to get down and go look at the spot he thought he shot and to try to find his arrow but not to try to follow the deer. I got down and went to where he was and by that time he had found his arrow and it was covered in briight red blood. We began tracking and found the buck piled up within about 75yds. He started to cry when he saw the buck and I told him; "There's no crying in deer hunting." After a good laugh, we took care of the animal and got it out of there. A great buck for your first. After we got home, I remembered I had trailcam pics of this his buck. Enjoy!

Here's trailcam pics of the buck.

Taken 07/26/10

I know it was a long read but I thought it was a great story.

Blessings.....Pastorjim