HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Signals deer give
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM
stabnslab_WI
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Yesterday, a hunter on TV noticed a doe extend her head down and out and interpreted it to mean a buck was coming in. Sure enough, he appeared a few seconds later. I immmediately realized this could be very useful information, but I know very little about it.

My questions:

1.What/how can you learn from a deer's movements to tell you it's communicating or indicating an unseen deer?

2. What exactly does foot stomping thing do or say? I understand it means a deer has seen something to make it ansty, but is it a form of communication?

3. I've heard of young bucks acting submissively in the presence of dominant ones. What do I look for?
I was under the impression that when a deer stomp's its not communication, she or he is trying to get you to move. Watch as they move their head quick, bobbing up and down. Predators love chase and that is what she mimicing, she is pretending to bolt hence trying to get you to move. Their name Whitetail say's it all. That is the warning flag, a nice bright white flag. I have had does pretend to be eating staring me down the whole time waiting for me to move.