HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Signals deer give
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Michlw39
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mohunter09
ha ha...yes I know deer signals pretty well...had the craziest thing happen to me ever...some people dont even believe me when I tell this story but it is 100 percent true. I was 16 and hunting alone, and hiddden just right blending in with the woods the deer didn't even see me. 3 doe were about 60 yards out in front of me in a very small patch of timber that is touching a several hundred acre cut down corn field. The only way the deer can hide is to run back at me where I know they bed in day time. Well, a nice 8pt was circling the does and he stopped adbruptedly and I took a shot at him so nervous and excited I missed and when i stood up he and the does saw me. Figuring they would take off into the corn field I was wrong...way wrong. They stared at me then started to zig zag closer and closer to me the buck had his antlers down headed straight at me..I shot two more times while he was running dead on from sixty yards...and missed both time i ran out of his way and had to swing my rifle at him to get him to get away from me while running past me to the woods...I walked home amazed at both the threatening situation that just happened and at the fact that it really just happened my Dad didnt even believe me until later that day when I said I think Ill hunt from my stand this time haha! Never had a similar situation happen but I carry a handgun in the woods for same situation just incase. It was instinct and i was just in the way.
Sometimes those misses make for better deer stories than the hits! My most haunting memory is emptying my gun at a running 8-pt in a field one time and never scratching it.

I wonder if the deer didn't know where the shot came from? Even though they apparently saw you, I wonder if they thought the shot came from somewhere else--hence them almost running you over (i.e. the biggest danger seemed to be coming from behind them and not you).

I've shot several bucks over the years where I missed the first shot and they stopped and offered a perfect still shot because they were confused about the initial shot sound and where it came from.