HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Signals deer give
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Michlw39
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley
I have always thought the foot stomp was a warning to other deer something wasn't quite right. As far as other deer being around almost always a doe will look back every now and then to see what is behind them. Also, they will flick their tail back and forth quick to let other deer know its ok to carry on. Their ears will turn back behind them too if something is following. I have learned the hard way to always assume something is behind them. I had a doe walking away from me one day and assumed it was safe to move a little, heard a deer blow behind me, lookend back just in time to see a nice buck turn and run.
Your first sentence is spot on. Notice that when a deer stomps its foot it's STILL standing there and hasn't (yet) bolted. My theory is it's a bit of a poker play with them--a game of chicken, if you will: they have a "suspicion" and they're trying to get you to "blink" or move and bust yourself.

In this situation, stay calm and cool! You aren't busted YET! I had a doe do that to me this fall. She stood there looking at the blind stomping her foot. She then turned and bolted about 15 feet, stopped suddenly, and looked back at the blind (again, trying to get me to move and bust myself). AFTER all that, she let her guard down and walked in broadside and I took her out.

While she "suspected" something she didn't bust me--but she tried to get me to bust me for her (if that makes sense).

No matter what kind of bluff and bluster and show they put on, you're still in the game up to the point they SNORT and turn up tail and bolt out of there. THEN the game is over--but not until then.