HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to “do” deer camp?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:30 PM
jerrrrstanley
Fork Horn

I have made many 9 day long hunting trips to Bath Co VA in the hidden valley area. We have used campers, tents, army tents, trucks, and even cheated and got a hotel for a couple days. The cheapest way is to get a tent and camp beside of the dirt road, not in the camp ground. I always take a grill for food prep. We always eat good so the food is our most expensive part. A good sleeping bag is a must because it will get cold on the mountain. I have woke up to -20* F temps before (the eggs were froze solid, ate oatmeal). You can make it with next to nothing if you wanted too do it cheap but the more you have the better and easier it is. I usually always take these items: Tent, sleeping bag, propane grill with a side burner, cook ware and utensils, ax and splitting maul, big cooler, plenty of water, chainsaw, a folding table is nice. As far as food we usually done eggs and toast and oatmeal in the mornings, sandwhiches and beans and snack cakes for lunch, and meat with tatters for dinner.
It seems like a lot but it is SO worth going. You will make friends for life just from camping and hunting together. I have been going since 1997 and look forward to it every year. Even though we don't kill HUGE bucks I would rather go a week in the mountains with my dad and grandpaw and brother than all of hunting season in Pike Co. or somewhere like that.

Also, when you camp beside of the road you can walk to the woods in about 10 seconds! No driving unless you just want to.

Last edited by jerrrrstanley; 11-08-2010 at 02:33 PM.