HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Storing a loaded muzzleloader... how long?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Kerrdog
Spike

Originally Posted by Breechplug
So after you inspected the Barrel how was it, did it show any signs of corrosion?
(BP)
Well dang! I found two places that indicate pitting. Both areas are very slight. I don't remember seeing them last year. In my estimation, both areas appear to be above the point where the bullet would seat! Both areas appear on the edge of the same groove about 2" apart. Otherwise, the barrel is pristine. Of course, this is a CVA Buckhorn... not a highend gun.

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Kerrdog

Shoot Kerrdog - I never had a doubt. I shoot mine prior to the season to check POI wipe down the bore with a bit of windex and a very lightly oiled Montana X-treme patch and it will stay that way to the end of the season. Sometimes the load is in the gun for several weeks - really depends on the hunting conditions... but as a disclaimer I shoot T7 - do not think I could do that with real BP or any of the Pyro's...
I've never had a misfire with this gun (knock on wood!) even after leaving it loaded for several weeks. Now my Hawken is a different story!