HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bad experience with butcher/processor
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Stonewall308
Typical Buck

Default Bad experience with butcher/processor

I shot a deer last Friday and dropped him off at about 3:30 the same day at a butcher who does processing. He says it will be "probably not more than a couple of days."

So I figured it would be ready by Monday, but Tuesday at the very latest. I wait until Wednesday to call him. Over the phone he is very abrupt and says "we will call when it is ready." He also says they are planning on doing 20 or more deer that day. There were less than ten deer there when I dropped mine off, so I figure they will be butchering it that day.

I didn't call Thursday, and I didn't call Friday. Today is the eighth day, and this guy told me it would probably be ready in two days. I went over there face to face, and he wasn't much more helpful. They just keep saying they will call when it is ready. I am going to start getting very pissed with every passing day; I am starting to think they either mistaked it for a donation or somehow they spoiled it.

Isn't 8 days a little much for a deer to be sitting in a refrigerator without butchering or freezing? For those of you who use processors, how long does it usually take?

Anyone know of a really good aid to show me how to butcher them myself? I'll probably get at least one more before the season is out, and I'll be damned if I am giving this butcher any more business. I'd like to know how to do it myself anyhow.