HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wisconsin Rut Watch
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Brocster
Spike

Originally Posted by BowMan051088
If someone where to use a decoy, would this be a good time to use a buck or doe? and with what cents, calls, ect?
I have had great luck and a lot of fun with decoys over the past years. It doesn't always work, so be patient, but when it does, you will have a blast.

I have had bucks come into the decoy setup to fight, have had a buck bump a decoy and so on. But, I still think the top thing a good decoy setup does is

KEEP THE DEER"S EYES ON THE DECOY!

Can't stress that enough. I had a deflected arrow go over the back of a buck that came into the decoy. Instead of running away, the buck bounced off 30 yards, looked back at the buck, and came back in. (couldn't get a second shot).

Here is my suggestions:
  • You could use a buck by itself.
  • You could use a buck and a doe.
  • I often use just a buck. Right now, this is what I would do.
  • I would use a buck and a doe together starting the 11th.
  • This is critical - Make sure you wash the decoy in scent free soap. Put in plastic garbage bag or similar until you get to the woods. Handle only with latex or simialr gloves, and then spray scent killer all over the decoy.
  • Use buck urine to add realism. But, put the buck urine on a wick and on the ground, not on the decoy.
  • If using a buck and doe set up, take the legs off the doe if you can and lay the doe down about 30 yards away facing away from you quartering away straight upwind. Put the buck facing the doe quartering into you. This should bring the deer scent checking between you and the decoys.
  • Use doe-in-heat on a wick, or just doe urine. I actually have had better success with just doe urine.
I personally have had better success with just using the buck, although I have had some fun with the 2 deer setup.

Good luck!